Mama Guest Curator of the Month: Jennifer Parry Dodge
Our Mama Guest Curator for the Month of June is Jennifer Parry Dodge of Ermie and her adorable son David!
Jennifer is the talented woman behind her gorgeous brand of hand dyed textiles, Ermie based in Los Angeles. She is our friend and inspiration for the shop and we cannot be any happier to have her as our Mama Guest Curator for the month of June! Jennifer and her son David share with us their favorite top items in the shop and the reasons why! Check them out below.
She answers our favorite question: What is your favorite part about Motherhood and how has it shaped you?
Jennifer Parry Dodge:
So far, my favorite part of motherhood is getting to see the world through the eyes of my child, and reliving childhood in a way. It's so exciting to see David discover new concepts, make connections, reach his developmental milestones. For example, last night we were all sitting at the dinner table with the windows open. A breeze blew into the house and David said "wind" as the breeze touched his face. Moments like that are so wonderful.
I've only been a mom for 14 months, so it's difficult for me to really say or see how I've been shaped by motherhood. Without getting too serious, I'd say it's forced me to face certain fears and issues that stem from my own childhood and upbringing in order for me to be fully present for David Oliver. I'm also learning to manage my time better, and truly enjoy those rare moments that I have to myself to make art or even just enjoy a cup of coffee alone at a cafe. I'm also learning so much from other mothers...being around other women with children and building camaraderie has become important to me. I'm so grateful to be a part of a creative community here in Los Angeles that is dominated by so many amazing women, many of whom, coincidentally, are also amazing moms.
She picks out her top items in our shop:
- Good Moon Swaddles- I love this line! Nicole Myers Steel, the designer behind Good Moon, was my assistant. I tried to share everything I knew about dyeing and textiles with her during the time I was lucky enough to have her working with me. She has definitely taken that knowledge and created uniquely beautiful work of her own. I'm kind of in awe of her! These swaddles are so soft, well made, and make great gender-neutral gifts. We recently purged many of David's nursery items, but I made sure to hold onto Nicole's swaddle!
I Am A Bunny & Wooden Bear Book- David loves to read! I ensure we read with him every day. It's been so much fun to rediscover old favorites like "I Am A Bunny" from my own childhood (the illustrations are so beautiful and depict the change of seasons in such a lovely way) and see what's new out there in the world of children's books. He is also currently loving this little Swiss wooden book from the shop. It doesn't have any words so it's fun to vary the story slightly each time we read it.
Hansel from Basel Wrestler Socks - The description of these socks is spot on -- so much fun for David to wear and he loves it when I use them as hand puppets. He's almost grown out of his original pair, I need to buy him new pair!
- Pustefix Large Bubbles- One of David's first words was "bubble" - blowing bubbles with him is one of his favorite activities. This brand makes the best bubbles, and I love that the formula is non-toxic.
- Vilac Wooden Car- One of the first purchases I made from Merci Milo! Bright, fun, French...what's not to like? Merci Milo definitely has the best selection of wooden toys.
- My Dad is a Feminist T-shirt- This is on my wish list. I normally avoid tees with slogans, but you better believe my husband and I are raising our son to be a feminist. I thinks it's more important than ever to teach our children how to be caring human beings that respect & protect the rights of others, and to work for social justice.
- Evolution coloring book & Crayon Rocks - Our household believes in science. David Oliver was named after his grandfather David who is a retired physician and the late neurologist and author Oliver Sacks (I myself have a Bachelor of Science in nursing).This coloring book is a really cool way to introduce your child to Darwin's Theory of Evolution. I love these crayons, too - they are easy for kids to hold, and come in gorgeous colors!
- Rebel & Quill Earrings- Last but not least I must give a shoutout to Carol-- the woman & mama behind Merci Milo! Did you know she has a whole other business separate from Merci Milo called Rebel & Quill Objects? I used to wear a lot of big statement jewelry but have had to reserve those pieces for date nights or when I am sans baby (David is a typical toddler who enjoys grabbing shiny objects). These Rebel and Quill earrings are perfect for daily wear and are subtly interesting- mini statement jewelry!
Thank you Jennifer and David for sharing your favorites with us!
Shop her favorite Merci Milo Items Now!